Saturday, November 13, 2010

Carne Guisada



Mexican beef stew. Another winner. This one was so easy to make and very good! I served it over some red potatoes that I had, but next time I will use warm tortillas. Also a little sour cream on top is nice.

I thought the 2 serrano peppers would make it really spicy, but it didn't. It was just right.

2 T. cooking oil
1 lb. beef stew meat
1/2 (6 oz.) can tomato paste. (I used the whole can)
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
salt to taste
2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
2 T. cornstarch

Dredge meat in flour. Heat oil and sear outside of beef. Put in crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook for 8-12 hours. You can shorten the cooking time, but the meat won't be as tender. At the end dissolve cornstarch in a little bit of water and add to the stew to thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment